Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Steak & Potatoes on an Air Fryer

 photo IMG_1179.jpg

This is my first cook on my NuWave Brio Healthy Digital 10 Quart Air Fryer. The steak was a nice thick (1/1/2”) ribeye and along with that, I cooked some Tater Tots and then served it all up with some tomato slices with poppy seed dressing and some pasta salad. Sure made a nice meal. 

This is the Air Fryer that Tee put up on the forum (Let's Talk BBQ) a few days ago for about half the normal price and sure looked like a good deal to me. I tried to study up on this unit but couldn’t find much information but did find out that it was a brand new NuWave Model that had only been on the market for a few months. I did find 10 reviews on it at Amazon and about half of the people had problems with it and some had sent it back. Two big problems...the teflon coating was very thin and was flaking off after only a couple of cooks on a couple of these cookers. I figured I could work around this by using only plastic utensils when operating the cooker. The second problem and this is a big one is that the latch that holds the lid or cover up is very difficult to use. About 7 out of the 10 reviews had a problem with this and most ended up with burnt arms or hands. I did figure out a method to work around this problem but there is no way a lady could use this cooker with the latch the way it is. 

Even with knowing of all the problems, I still purchased the cooker. There were just too many pluses with this unit and the price was sure right. It’s huge at 10 quarts. It has a rotisserie and I do love rotisseries. Glass window to view the food cooking, You can air fry, broil, roast, toast, bake, and then the rotisserie really pushed it over the edge for me.  Temperature up to 400 degrees and power up to 1500 watts. Also came with a few accessories. 

Ok, let’s cook something...

 photo IMG_1170.jpg

I trimmed the steak up, rubbed it in olive oil, and added the wife’s favorite rub which has some dill seed in it since this was her steak. Didn’t do a thing with the Tater Tots other then placing them in the basket. 

 photo IMG_1171.jpg

The potatoes going into the cooker.

 photo IMG_1172.jpg

Potatoes done in the cooker. They were cooked at 390 degrees for about 11 minutes. 

 photo IMG_1173.jpg

First mod I did to this cooker was to figure out how to add some Grill Grates and I did do that for my grilling. 

 photo IMG_1175.jpg

Steak going on the cooker.

 photo IMG_1176.jpg

Steak done on the cooker. I didn’t get very good grill marks and I think the problem here was I needed to pre-heat the grates much longer than I did on this first try. I tried 8 minutes and I should have used about 20 minutes. Steak still looked great. 

 photo IMG_1178.jpg

That steak is sitting in a puddle of juice on the plate. 

 photo IMG_1180.jpg

Shooting for medium doneness for the wife but missed it and got it about medium well. The steak was cooked at 400 degrees and took about 21 minutes to get done. Wife thought is was about as good as steak as I can cook on a good charcoal grill. 

 photo IMG_1181.jpg

I like it real well and can’t wait to cook some poultry on the rotisserie. I also have a pizza setup for the cooker and will bake up a pizza in the near future. 


1 comment:

  1. Who has been able to sample the various gadgets on this list and can be able to pick out the best one?
    https://meritmeter.com/

    ReplyDelete