Sunday, September 17, 2017

Almost Smash Burgers on the Cobb Grill

I call these “almost” because I don’t do every step required to make them a true Smash Burger. 

 photo IMG_0907.jpg

This is a great method for cooking burgers and we have several chain burger restaurants in the US that use this method.

 photo IMG_0901.jpg

Ok, I started with 22 all hardwood briquets in the small Weber charcoal chimney. As soon as they were fairly well ashed over, I poured them into the larger charcoal basket. Added my Grill Grates and let the grill come up to about 600F degrees measured on the cooking surface for my burgers.

 photo IMG_0903.jpg

Smash Burgers must be made with fresh, never frozen, ground beef with a 80/20 ratio of lean to fat. I made my 4 burgers with a pound and a half of meat so each burger weighed about 6 ounces. I divided up my burger and kinda rolled it into four balls being careful to not work it very much. Added butter to the Grill Grates and placed two balls of meat on the grid. I then smashed them with the tool and held them for 10 seconds and removed the tool. At this point, I sprinkled on some SPG added the lid and was on my way.

 photo IMG_0904.jpg

I cooked them for about 4 minutes and then turned them over and cooked them for about 2 more minutes and then added the cheese. Cooked them an additional minute and a half and they were ready to come off of the grill.

 photo IMG_0905.jpg

First 2 Smash Burgers ready to come off of the Cobb. The sear you get with this method is kinda krispy and just adds so much taste and flavor to the meat.

 photo IMG_0906.jpg
The official Smash Burgers have a Smash Sauce on them but I don't care for it so I just use something that suits me.

 photo IMG_0908.jpg


There are many items you can put on a Smash Burger but I like lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle, and a little catsup and mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment