Wednesday, July 26, 2017

More Hearth Bread Baking on the Cobb Grill

I have done a few more hearth bread bakes on my little Cobb Grill using several different setups, recipes, and methods and I have finally figured out how to get a fairly nice loaf of bread off of this great little grill. 

 photo IMG_0452.jpg

Most of my baking has been done with the “5 Minutes a Day Artisan Bread Dough” which is simple and does make some terrific bread. 

 photo IMG_0455.jpg

I like to use a charcoal chimney for all my high temp cooking or baking with the larger charcoal basket. This charcoal basket comes with the Cobb BBQ Kit. I have 22 hardwood briquets in the charcoal chimney and it is ready to be poured into the Cobb.

 photo IMG_0456.jpg

My setup for this bake is as follows.
Used the larger charcoal basket with 22 briquets. I also use lump for some bakes.
Dome extension went on next.
Standard cooking grid on top of the extension. 
Roast rack on next.
8-1/2" hearth stone on top.

 photo IMG_0457.jpg

First loaf going on the grill.

 photo IMG_0459.jpg

I baked the bread to 206F internal and it came out great.

 photo IMG_0461.jpg

I know it's not very pretty but it sure came out nice other than that problem. The bread took about an hour and the temperature measured at the top of the dome was about 360-390F during the bake. Browned nicely and tasted great.

 photo IMG_0462.jpg

That is a perfect crust.

 photo IMG_0454.jpg

This is another and much nicer loaf cooling on the counter top.

 photo IMG_0463.jpg

Had a little piece of dough left so the wife made up some big breadsticks.

 photo IMG_0465.jpg

Makes a great snack.

 photo IMG_0622.jpg

Here is another loaf I found in my pictures but I don’t remember all the details on this loaf but other than the top, it looks pretty good. 

This is my latest hearth bake on the Cobb Grill.

 photo IMG_0656.jpg

I used about 19-20 all hardwood briquets for this bake in the larger charcoal basket.

 photo IMG_0660.jpg

About ready to be put on the Cobb.

 photo IMG_0662.jpg

The bake took a little longer than I expected but did come out quite well. I took it off of the Cobb with an internal temperature of 200F degrees.

 photo IMG_0665.jpg

Got the bottom of the loaf about perfect.

 photo IMG_0666.jpg

Structure not too bad but the top of the loaf could use some improvement as it is not very pretty.

 photo IMG_0667.jpg

I dearly love homemade bread.

1 comment:

  1. I'm giving this a try today. I know it's an old post, but thanks for leaving it up. This is exactly what I needed to understand about the baking set-up.

    ReplyDelete